12 cardamom pods
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp grated nutmeg (fresh is best)
3 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise
1 tsp black peppercorns
2 tb organic black tea leaves
2tb fresh ginger, thinly sliced
1 tb raw honey
Plant mylk to serve (I love coconut or hemp seed, but you can use any mylk you like)
- Grind all spices in a mortar and pestle to release the flavour (around 2 minutes).
- In a small bowl, combine the spices with the tea leaves and fresh ginger.
- Add honey and stir mixture until all ingredients are evenly coated.
- Place mixture in a sterilized jar and store in the fridge for up to 6 weeks.
- To make the chai, add 1 tsp of the spice mix per cup to a tea pot. Add enough boiling water to cover the spices and allow to steep for a minute or two.
- Pour in enough warm mylk for each person.
- Serve and enjoy!